Search This Blog

Saturday, January 18, 2020

Sr. Loretta's Magnificat


 MY MAGNIFICAT
In the 50’s, when I was at St. Gall, my spiritual director asked me to write my own MAGNIFICAT.  What a wonderful experience that was.  I reflected for some time on my spiritual life and what nourished it.  Basically, it was Eucharist,  Scripture, Mary’s “Yes” and the indwelling presence.
Mary’s “Yes” has always been an important part of my spiritual life.  One day, when I was bringing Communion to parishioners in Christ Hospital, I found in the Gift Store a beautiful “Annunciation” statue.  This was perfect for my prayer table.
My devotion to the “indwelling presence” began when I was in grade school at our SSCM boarding school in Beaverville.  This devotion overflowed into my teaching career as I taught children how to go to their “heart rooms” to pray to God. 

So, after much reflection and prayer, I wrote my MAGNIFICAT. I now share it with you.

 MY  MAGNIFICAT

My morning song
is a hymn of  praise to
Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Your WORD, O God,
becomes my bread.
In EUCHARIST I’m fed.

Mary’s “fiat”
of long ago
is mine today.
 
A “yes” to the past--
a letting go--
free at last.

A “yes” to the present--
Jesus Incarnate
 in every event.

A “yes” to the future--
as yet unknown,
hidden mystery.
             
O source of Life,
Three in One,
Your Kingdom Come!

Father, Son and Holy Spirit
Thou in me and I in Thee--
                          ETERNALLY!

At times, saying “yes” to the past has been most challenging—letting go.                                    And, at other times, the “present”—what’s going on in my life each day. Saying “yes” to the future will always be here.
Yes, my special devotion to Mary is living out my “yes” as she did.
                                                                                                Sr. Loretta Finn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Serenity Prayer

  Most of us are familiar with the Serenity Prayer: “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change t...